Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Parachute Play Songs

Howdy
This is an update to my first Parachute Play post. That post was a full program based around the parachute; it also included some stories.  This post will be songs and rhymes that I have been using lately at the end of a traditional preschool storytime for children ages 3-5 years old and their grownup. I usually do parachute play for one class during a 6-8 week block of storytimes and we will play for about 15 minutes. All of these activities work best with grownups helping at the chute so that no one gets knocked to the ground.  I usually pick a few of the songs each time.  I don't do everything listed below because I think that would be a very, very long storytime. 
36299113102_424b7834f6
Omaha Public Library

Opening
Bread and Butter
Bread and butter, marmalade and jam
Let's shake the chute as high as we can

Bread and butter, marmalade and jam
Let's shake the chute as low as we can

fast/slow
soft/loud

Songs
Let's Go Riding on an Elevator from Jbrary

Let's go riding on an elevator
Elevator, elevator,
Let's go riding on an elevator,
Come along with me!
First floor, Second floor, Third floor, Fourth floor, Fifth floor,
And.... down-down-down-down-down.




Walk by the Wiggles for Yummy Yummy - This is similar to All Around the Circle by Peter and Ellen Allard for Sing It Say It Stamp It Sway It vol 2


Boa Constrictor - from Bus Songs 
I'm being swallowed by a boa constrictor
I'm being swallowed by a boa constrictor
I'm being swallowed by a boa constrictor
And I don't like it very much.
Oh no (oh no) he swallowed my toe (he swallowed my toe).
Oh me (oh me) he swallowed my knee (he swallowed my knee).
Oh fiddle (oh fiddle) he's up to my middle (he's up to my middle).
Oh heck (oh heck) he swallowed my neck (he swallowed my neck).

Oh dread, he's up to my (slurp gulp).

The Hokey Pokey
I usually do left and right hands, left and right feet and then your whole self so the song doesn't get too long. This is a good option if all they want to do is shake the chute and you need to cool the kids down a bit. 

Fast and Slow by Hap Palmer for Rhythms on Parade - This is very similar to Fast and Slow by Laurie Berkner from The Best of the Laurie Berkner Band





Roll With the Waves by Mr. Eric and Mr. Michael for Rockin' Red from the Learning Groove - This works well with scarves or balls that the kids can roll and shake out of the parachute and take turns chasing around the room. 




Closing
Have the grown ups hold the edges of the parachute and lift it up high.  Have the children move to a middle space underneath the parachute.  The grownups can then flutter the chute to fill it with air and then pull it down to the floor so that it makes a bubble over everyone.  It helps if you tuck the edge of the chute under your bottom.  Now is a great time to sing your goodbye rhyme while you sit inside your homemade tent. 

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment