Friday, May 29, 2015

Preschool Storytime - Sports


Opening
We Are Here Together - based on I Am Here & You Are Here by Peter & Ellen Allard from Sing it! Say it! Stamp it! Sway it! Vol. 3


I am here and you are here
and we are here together.
I am here and you are here
and we’re gonna clap our hands.
I am here and you are here
and we’re gonna stomp our feet.
I am here and you are here
and we’re gonna jump up and down.
I am here and you are here
and we are here together.
I am here and you are here
and we’re gonna have some fun.


Books

Dunk Skunk by Michael Rex 
My kids did not quite understand this book, they wanted it to be a story and I skipped the last few pages before I totally lost my kids' attention.

Spider on the Floor by Raffi

Almost from the beginning the kids were singing along with this and had no trouble pretending their hands were spiders that moved from legs to stomaches and heads. We will do the song format for sure. 

Tap to Play by Salina Yoon

I had just heard about this book the week before.  It was hilarious.  I would definitely do this again.  I was a little surprised that none of my kids tried to take the book or touch it when the character asked them for help.


Rhyme
10 little Baseballs – to the tune of 10 little bubbles. Watch the video from Boone County Public Library to hear the tune. 


Special thanks to my coworkers who helped me with the lingo of this rhyme.  I am not sportsy at all and I didn't know what a fly ball was.  


1 little 2 little three little baseballs
4 little 5 little 6 little baseballs
7 little 8 little 9 little baseballs
10 little baseballs went up up up



Catch them catch them catch those fly balls
Catch them catch them catch those fly balls
Catch them catch them catch those fly ball
10 flies were caught caught caught


Songs

Spaghetti Legs by Jim Gill - The Sneezing Song and Other Contagious Tunes
Hands are for clapping by Jim Gill - The Sneezing Song and Other Contagious Tunes
Jumping and counting by Jim Gill - Irrational Anthem and More Salutes to Nonsense


Egg Shakers

Today we were really rambunctious with our eggs.  I'm glad we just had sit down songs as I think a dance off to Shake Your Sillies Out might have brought the house down.  I told the kids the eggs were too noisy and then scolded my egg by holding it near my face and then shushing it my other hand.  The kids immediately copied me and the room became oddly silent.  Of course the silence didn't last but it was cute for the briefest moment. 

Both songs are from Give Your Storytime a Shake on JBrary.

If You're Happy and You Know It
if you’re happy and you know it give a shake
if you’re happy and you know it give a shake
if you’re happy and you know it give a shake
if you’re happy you know it and you really want to show it
if you’re happy and you it give a shake
clap – tap

Everyone can Shake, Shake, Shake
everyone can shake shake shake
everyone can shake shake shake
everyone can shake shake shake shake
and now lets make a stop
tap – clap – wave

Bean Bags

Toys for the kids...and me :)
I discovered we have two sets of  Bucket Blast.  I scampered all the way to youth services with this clasped to my chest in delight. I mean dude, bean bags in 6 colors! Am I right?  

The box containers: 
6 colors buckets
6 waist straps 
24 bean bags
4 cones
6 blindfolds
1 carry bag
1 direction booklet



Storytime gear where there 
would normally be paperwork.
Many of the games are for outdoor play and really need a larger space than the room I use.  A whole section of games involves water and honestly they were for older kids.  Today I took out just the bean bags and buckets.  I had some wild vision of playing some relay games but the kids were like molecules pinging around the room so we stood at one end of the room and with the bean bag balanced on our hands we tried to make it to the other side of the room. We walked, hopped, took big monster steps, did a tippy toe baby walk and even crawled on the floor and shuffled on our knees.  Next we tried to balance the bean bags on our heads, knees, feet, elbows and other body parts.  Since I had never used the bean bags with this group before I think we need to build up to free range bean bag play.  I think we need some bean bag songs and rhymes the same way to use our egg shakers and scarves. 


Closing – tune farmer in the dell
Borrowed from Opening/Closing Songs on Storytime Katie who borrowed it from Rhymes for Toddlers on Sunflower Storytime.

We clap our hands like this
We clap our hands like this
We clap our hands with all of our friends
We clap our hands like this.

We blow a kiss like this
We blow a kiss like this
We blow a kiss with all of our friends
We blow a kiss like this.

We wave goodbye like this.
We wave goodbye like this.
We wave goodbye with all our friends.
We wave goodbye like this.


No craft this time.  I'm trying to wean my group off so many paper crafts since they seem to just rush through the craft or leave it behind anyway.  I am hoping they will remember that we played more than anything else. 

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment