Monday, May 25, 2015

Preschool Storytime - Frogs

Opening
We Are Here Together - based on I Am Here & You Are Here by Peter & Ellen Allard from Sing it! Say it! Stamp it! Sway it! Vol. 3
I am here and you are here
and we are here together.
I am here and you are here
and we’re gonna clap our hands.
I am here and you are here
and we’re gonna stomp our feet.
I am here and you are here
and we’re gonna jump up and down.
I am here and you are here
and we are here together.
I am here and you are here
and we’re gonna have some fun.
TotSchooling 


To warm up after our song I had prepared a yellow bag with Free Printable Rhyming Sorting Game (thank you Pinterest) inside.  Its a set a of 8 rhymes with 16 cards all together.  Its great to have so many pieces because I have a lot of little helpers.  Hiding at the bottom of my bog was large resin frog. This way we could talk about which pairs rhyme, which pairs don't and which ones lead us back to our froggy friend.

Books
Frog Thing by Eric Drachman
Croaky Pokey by Ethan Long
Ribbit by Rodrigo Folgueira
Frog in a Bog by Karma Wilson



Songs

Spaghetti Legs by Jim Gill - The Sneezing Song and Other Contagious Tunes
Can You Leap Like a Frog by Greg and Steve - Kids in Action
Wiggle Your Fingers by Peter and Ellen Allard - Sing It! Say It! Stamp It! Sway It! Vol. 2


I decided to use our 12" parachute to act as a lily pad in storytime.  I have used parachutes before but not with this group.  I loved that the kids wanted to sit on the lily pad instead of wandering around as much.  I didn't like that some of my kids got really fixated on the handles.  We didn't do any activities that would lift the parachute off the floor but it still took a lot of work to keep them focused on the floor games I had for us to do.  I will definitely use the parachute again but I think I will need more ground rules or a better why to regain everyone's attention.  I admit I let things get a little wild and wooly. 

Rhyme
Five Green Speckled Frogs – with felt set. I like the Raffi version of this song but sometimes it just goes too fast. We just sang along today and it worked fine.

Five green and speckled frogs
Sitting on a speckled log
eating the most delicious grub, YUM YUM
one jumped into the pool
where it was nice and cool
now there are 4 green speckled frogs
Ribbit ribbit!



Five Green and Speckled Frogs | Mother Goose Club Playhouse Kids Video



Two Little Frogs - borrowed from Frog Storytime - Miss Meg's Storytime , her version is adapted from Two Little Blackbirds.  I added two verses at the end because the kids really got into the rhyme after the second verse. 

Two little froggies sitting in the lake
One named Jane, and one named Jake
Swim away Jane, swim away Jake
Come back Jane, come back Jake!


Two little froggies sitting on the bay
One named Greg, and one named May
Jump away Greg, jump away May
Come back Greg, come back May


Two little froggies sitting on a cloud
One croaked soft and one croaked loud
croak aways soft, croak away loud
come back soft, come back loud.

Two little froggies sitting by the gate
one came early and one came late
go away early, go away late
come back early, come back late

This works best when you really ham it up and have the frogs appear but or after they are supposed to as if the frogs are just too silly to the right thing. 

Scarves
Borrowed from Scarf Songs and Rhymes for Storytime on Jbrary.
One Bright scarf (adapted from 10 Little Fingers at Storytime Rocks)

One bright scarf waiting for the wind to blow (hold in hand)
Wiggle it high (wiggle scarf above head)
Wiggle it low (wiggle scarf by knees)
Shake it fast (wiggle scarf quickly)
Shake it slow (wiggle scarf slowly)
Put it behind your back (bring out empty hands)
Where did it go?


Jack in the box, sits so still
Will he come out, yes he will.


Closing – tune farmer in the dell
Borrowed from Opening/Closing Songs on Storytime Katie who borrowed it from Rhymes for Toddlers on Sunflower Storytime.

We clap our hands like this
We clap our hands like this
We clap our hands with all of our friends
We clap our hands like this.

We blow a kiss like this
We blow a kiss like this
We blow a kiss with all of our friends
We blow a kiss like this.

We wave goodbye like this.
We wave goodbye like this.
We wave goodbye with all our friends.
We wave goodbye like this.

Craft

For our craft a staff member used the printable template for our frog and lily pad to precut the basic shapes.  I braided paper for the springs, here after called boingers because I thought that was really funny.  While the website suggests some kids can make their own boingers I found my kids excelled at taking the boingers apart and then insisting their boinger broke.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment