I'm into the second week of my new job. Everyday I apply things I've used before and everyday I unlearn thing as well. There are a lot of common library functions but accomplishing them is so different from system to system.
Things I've learned
|Maybe he is looking for a thesaurus?|
- When I was told Friday and the weekends are casual, this means jeans not khakis.
- Everything has a key and they are all different. Also now I jingle when I walk.
- The bookmobile is enormous and possibly larger than the one I used to drive.
- I need to remind myself every day to go to the Teen section. I camp in the office and suddenly its late.
- I think I've finally tried every commute route conceivable to find the best one.
- I am directionally challenged and I will get lost on the way to work or on the way home at least once a week.
- I found the vacuum and carpet cleaner. I work with kids so I bet you cannot imagine why I needed cleanup in Picture Books.
- We have not one but two of the tiniest toilet plungers I have ever seen. I guess since we have a two seater it makes sense to have two plungers.
- There is a bathroom in the department which should be convenient but it has the smallest commode in it I have ever seen.
- We are right by the train track and despite the train going by daily I only notice it at lunch and when it impedes my commute. Or when it does go by I think its a thunder storm instead.
- The vending machine has a nice selection of snacks.
- Our dress code might be Smart Casual. Its a term I just learned and don't totally understand. (If something is smart but I don't get it does that make me dumb?)
- We have a film projector and a whole collection of Westin Woods movies with their cassettes and everything. I want to bring it upstairs because if the bulb is still good we are so going to use it in storytime.
Things I still don't know
- Where is the copier?
- Where is the laminator?
- Where is the velcro glove for storytime? (I did find it eventually in with the puppets and I also found the Old MacDonald finger puppets. Which was good until I realize their eyes had fallen off so its more like a zombie rampage in a barnyard.)
- How do people find time to read after working all day? I read one graphic novel and one picture book this week that is all.
- When am I going to find time to blog for YALSA's The Hub? (this goes on both lists I think. I did write a post but the formatting won't save. So while the text is great, visually the post is a hot mess.)
- How will I keep my teens from realizing that I am older and maybe taller but certainly not any smarter than they are?
- I'm not sure of the official greeting for answering the phone. Oddly the phone doesn't ring that much and often seem to be in house calls.
- Why there isn't a coffee vending machine. I love those.
- I've never seen or made a file folder story. Have you seen these before? Its such a fun concept. I plan to make one the next chance I get. I'm going to copy a story from Miss Mary Liberry. (yes the name is intentionally spelled incorrectly)
- See my first Folder Story