Where is Qatar?Qatar is a peninsula found at the northeast border of Saudi Arabia. Qatar is bordered on three sides by the Persian Gulf. (Qatar)
|The nation of Qatar in relation |
to other countries of the Middle East.
No matter how you say it, chances are you're pronouncing "Qatar" wrong. Bob Simon sorts it out.
Who is Qatar?Qatar is a nation of immigrants. Only 15% of the population is comprised by Qatari nationals. Other large ethnic groups include from India, Pakistan and Iran. An increasing number of male workers means only 1/4 of the population is female. 80% of the entire population is Muslim. (Qatar)
|Flag of Qatar|
- Currency - Riyal. 1 Riyal equals about 27 cents US.
- Time - Qatar is on Arabian Standard Time, it is about 8 hours later in the day in Qatar than it is for people on Eastern Standard Time.
- Soccer - Qatar is hosting the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- College - Many universities like Texas A&M and Cornell have branch campuses in Dona's Education City
- Business - Qatar is home to many familiar brands like Starbucks, McDonalds and IKEA.
BBC News - Qatar Country Profile
Provides an overview of Qatar, including key events and facts about this small country which has become a major oil producer.
Qatar Tourism Authority
Official site provides news and information about visiting Qatar including activities, accommodation, travel and tour operators.
Qatar - World Factbook
Features map and brief descriptions of the geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military and transnational issues.
There is a lot I don't know. Post questions in the comments section below and I will tackle those next.