Sunday, February 19, 2017

2017


*Posted 12/14/16, updated 2/20/17*

Howdy,

Unlike my previous posts on New Year's resolutions I don't have a lot of plans as a librarian for 2017.  In fact I would like 2017 to be a year in which I librarian less. I don't want to be a librarian 24 hours a day. When I get home from my job I don't want to keep working unless the work I am doing is on myself.  Currently I read books all the time. I am constantly reading and reviewing youth titles.  I always have an audiobook to listen to and titles to be read for book talks.  Recently I have begun to wonder what my job would be like if I only did my work 40 hours a week/while I am physically at work.  Would my job suffer?  Or would I come to the library with fresh eyes? What would I do with my personal time if I weren't still doing my job in my off time?  I don't know what will happen but I want to find out.  I want to leave my work at work.  If I can't get my book reviews done at work then that task will have to wait.  If I don't have to time to read all new books for my book talks then I will adapt.  There are lots of videos of people reviewing books and surely I am not the only person to recommend a title they have never read before. The goals I do have are more for me.  They are less benchmark and more bucket list. 


In 2017 I want to run more. I want to run for fun and not let adulting keep me from my workouts. While storytime is quite a good outlet for my energy, I get more time to think when run. 

2017 should be a year for more volunteer work. Perhaps more steady volunteer work.  Something that has nothing to do with books, literacy or kids. I know if I spent less time doing work related tasks at home I could be out in the community making improvements for others.  Along the way I could discover new interests and talents.  

This new year I want take more direction action about my health.  I hate making doctor's appointments.  One of the reasons I hate this task is job-related.  It can be such a challenge to make an appointment that doesn't conflict with programs or desk schedules.  I often feel guilty taking the time off from work even when it should be my first priority to take care of myself. 

I'm not going to ignore my role as librarian.  I am hoping that only doing my job during work hours will engage my passion for it even more.  I think a well-rounded me will make for a better librarian. 

In the words of Nikki Costa "everybody got their something." I turned my literary hobby into a career that provides me with a lot of things.  Now I need a new something (or many somethings) so I can keep growing as a dynamic person.

Update - I am adding a blog goal.  I would love to hit 1k views on a post.  I am nearly to 900 on some older posts currently.  It would be great to finally reach 1k pageviews on a post the slow and steady way or maybe hit upon a popular topic like I did with my Pokemon posts and really jump ahead.


Laura
Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment