Last year I wrote a post called Holiday Thoughts detailing all the alternate options for gift giving that didn't involve buying people things they won't use and don't need. If you already experienced Black Friday, and shopped Cyber Monday but missed out on Giving Tuesday now is your chance to add some meaning to some of the seasonal mindless consumerism. Consider giving back to a variety of charities like those listed in last years post or this fresh new list.
- Best Friends - The mission of Best Friends is to end the killing in America's animal shelters and create a time when there are No More Homeless Pets. We do this by building community programs and partnerships all across the nation. We believe that by working together we can Save Them All. (Mission)
- Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence - The mission of the Brady organization is to create a safer America for all of us that will lead to a dramatic reduction in gun deaths and injuries. (Who We Are)
- Innocence Project - The Innocence Project is a national litigation and public policy organization dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted individuals through DNA testing and reforming the criminal justice system to prevent future injustice. (About Us)
- Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund - The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund is a leader in supporting the men and women of the Armed Forces and their families. Begun in 2000 and established as an independent not-for-profit organization in 2003, the Fund has provided close to $150 million in support for the families of military personnel lost in service to our nation, and for severely wounded military personnel and veterans. These efforts are funded entirely with donations from the public, and hundreds of thousands of individuals have contributed to the Fund. (About IFHF)
- Make a Wish Foundation - Tens of thousands of volunteers, donors and supporters advance the Make-A-Wish®vision to grant the wish of every child diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition. In the United States and its territories, on average, a wish is granted every 37 minutes. We believe a wish experience can be a game-changer. This one belief guides us and inspires us to grant wishes that change the lives of the kids we serve. (About Us)
- Toys for Tots - The mission of the U. S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to less fortunate children in the community in which the campaign is conducted. (Mission)
Can you make your heart and wallet lighter simultaneously? Think about giving a gift that gets unwrapped immediately and starts doing good work as soon as you click send.
If your loved ones don't need something else to dust.
If you can say 'I Love You' out loud instead of saying it with food.
This can be the year you start a great new tradition for yourself and others.