Saturday, August 27, 2016

2016 Resolutions

Doge never fails to amuse me
*originally posted 12/15/15, updated 8/27/16, changes made in blue*

Howdy

Part of getting ready for the new year is finalizing things with the past year.  I think I'll be more ready for 2016 once I get unsavory aspects of 2015 wrapped up. I've started clearing out things from my last job. Every reminder of my short lived job in Qatar makes my heart squeeze a little.  I've cleaned out all my work related emails and addressed.  I emptied my contact list from my phone and email of anyone who was strictly work related.   Sure I made friends to keep in touch with but anything that was just for the job is gone.  I'm unfollowing, unliking and unsubscribing (poor spell check has such trouble with these strange words.  How is oversubscribing an option but not unsubscribe?)from anything on social media that links me back to the past.  Next I'll shred all the documents I have from that time too. I still have a lot of the documentation I needed to move though.  All those forms were hard earned and expensive. I'm still reticent to throw those away in case they might have value at a later date. I want a nice clean slate.  I don't want my past to color my future.  I won't pretend Qatar didn't happen, I just don't want it to be an impediment to me trying new challenges and taking new risks. Any thoughts I've had of getting back at the people from the library need to just evaporate from my life.  Minus of course this fantasy I have of meeting my people from my past again and throwing a drink in their face.  I never promised to become an adult overnight. 

Below is my list of goals for 2016.  Not everything on the list is a work goal but I feel they are things that will contribute to my being a better librarian. 


2016 To Do List:
  • New - Reaching 1k hits on a single blog post.  I am hovering about 800+ on a few posts but nothing I have written has surpassed the 999 mark.
  • New - I am pondering a new blog about my dreams.
  • Post more YA/Teen blogs to One for the Books
  • Reviews - Continue reviewing youth lit for SOYAMRG and VOYA
    •  I am thinking about dropping VOYA. I don't think my reviews have been my best work lately. 
    • Update - I still haven't decided what to do, I want to stay involved but since I cannot read or review my books at work I am beginning to resent how book reviews take away my personal time.
  • YALSA - My motivation and my inspiration for writing with the other Hub bloggers seems to have dried up. Part of 2016 will be me being honest about not loving this work anymore. I don't like having to do all the writing on my free time and I think that resentment could leak into my work. 
  • Volunteer- Working with GRCHA and Crabill House were just a few of the volunteer jobs I worked on in 2015. For 2016 I would like to keep volunteering and if possible find a regular volunteer job to schedule.
    • I'm planning to help with Night at the Museum, March, 2016, the Dye Hard 5K
      Dye Hard 5K
      April, 2016 and a 5K race in May, 2016 for the Humane Society.
    • I stopped volunteering with these two historical associations altogether. I will be on the lookout for new opportunities.  Or I might just run more :)  
    • Update -  I will be working at the Fair at New Boston this summer at the Camera Obscura and Air Balloon.
  • Presentations - I was able to do two presentations in 2015; one in person and one webinar. I learned a lot about the process and that makes me want to teach more either online or in workshops.
    • Teen Think Tank. February, 2016. Ada, Ohio
  • Surveys - I plan to continue doing surveys for money with MySurvey.
    • Update - I have basically stopped the surveys as well.  I realized if I keep busy then I need less stuff so I need less money for the stuff. 
  • Reading Challenges - I will not participate in any reading challenges beyond the general tally on GoodReads. Twice now I have participated in the SWON Teen Reading Challenge with people who had a differing level of dedication. It is too disappointing to realize I cannot win with the teams I'm on so I'm sitting 2016 out when it comes to reading challenges.
  • Professional Development - Attend more workshops and webinars to stay current with juvenile and youth trends.
    • Little Miami 10 miler
      ORRRC 
      Xenia Half
    • Mock Newbery Award 2016, Wright State University. 1/16
  • My One for the Books readership goal last year was 10k pageviews.  I had 17k pageviews in 2015, so my 2016 goal is 20k pageviews.  
    • Increase subscribers from 5 to 10 by next year. 
    • Update - I still only have 5 subscribers but maybe I am just reading enough people through social media that they don't want the email as well.
  • Not library related at all, but I do plan to run my first half marathon in October, 2016. 
    • Ran my first 10 mile race 3/6/16. 
    • Couldn't wait for October, so I ran my first half marathon 4/10/16. 

So far it's a much shorter list than last year but hey it's still early and I'm pacing myself.  I'm also open to suggestions.   See my post 2015 New Year's Goals to see what I was up to last year. 


Laura

1 comment:

  1. Its a good start; don't overwhelm yourself with too many goals. Better to achieve fewer than to feel bad about not achieving enough.

    ReplyDelete