Saturday, January 3, 2015

LinkedIn

Howdy
After some consternation about maintaining another profile, I took the advice of the ALA Think Tank librarians and decided to make a LinkedIn page.  There is some debate that LinkedIn might be better suited to other professions.  Many people felt that LinkedIn was helpful but they couldn't explain exactly how. I am going to keep track of changes in my employment status or lack there of, and see if I can learn all of LinkedIn's features.  Hopefully I will be able to trace LinkedIn's influence on my career.

Currently, I've submitted 20 job applications and I am working on another one.  I have have received 1 no, and 1 maybe that did not result in interviews.  I have had 2 interviews that resulted in 1 maybe and 1 second interview.  I have been out of work since  November  the 16th and it is now January 3rd.  As a self-proclaimed busy body this process seems slow.


Find me online.
While I'm networking my way to a new library job, I added some social media buttons to my blog.  I've seen this type of advertising on nearly every blog I visit but I hadn't thought about adding my own.  The other day I was reading Books, Yarn, Ink and Other Pursuits, and the social media buttons caught my eye.  I tried the Blogger widgets but I wasn't getting the desired effect.  I was surprised and then contrite to learn from the admin that she created her own buttons in Blogger.  

A benefit to LinkedIn is that it keeps track of information that you do not know when you might need but when you do need those statistics, the facts are presented nicely.  I have had several job applications ask about volunteer experience.  I do not keep track of the work I do because I could never think of a good way to organize it.  LinkedIn will organize it for you.  If I had started using LinkedIn as a new librarian I would have a hearty listing by now.  I hate to think of all the things I have forgotten just because I didn't write them down.

I do find it bothersome that LinkedIn continually asks me where I am currently working.  I think I have clearly listed that my last job ended.  One question even asks why you are creating the profile and an option is 'seeking employment.'  Those facts combined make it fairly clear that I presently have no job.


So many passwords.
I have discovered that people I didn't expect to use LinkedIn are online and  conversely  librarians who I assumed had profiles do not use the site at all.  Also, I was not prepared to see profiles for students I had as teen volunteers.   I am also a bit fuzzy on how all the connections work.  I can clearly see people whom I know and have worked with professionally but I cannot seem to add them as connections.  Maybe I have to wait for them to add me?  This does not seem proactive at all.


Only the employees we like
get desks and chairs. 
I see now that long term LinkedIn can have a lot of value.  The challenge is to start early and stick with it.  In the beginning, I thought Twitter was pretty boring too, but the more I use it to communicate the more interactive the experience.  

And because it wouldn't be a blog without a tangent, I love this picture I found looking for content commons clipart.   The image shows this fellow using social media but my first  impression was 'surely this man is on Amazon buying a chair', I mean its cold on the floor and after a while his back would hurt. 

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment