Saturday, December 27, 2014

Hiring Librarians - Job Hunter Interview

Howdy
For those who know me and have worked with me you might be aware that detail work is challenging.  I lack the amount of focus necessary to sew, bake or write neatly.  You will often find me standing at my desk so that my bottom half can fidget while my top half gets work done.  It looks strange but it totally works.  In fact I had a desk chair and one day I put it in storage; I didn't use it and often found it was in my way.

While job hunting I have been asked to do a lot of meticulous work in documenting my training, skills and other assets.  Since a lot of libraries have their own form which is a pdf, you are required to add a text box for each field (you can also print and fill the form out by hand but as I mentioned, if it needs to be legible then I have to type it).  After completing this task 15+ times its easy to wonder if there is a better way to highlight all my strengths.  As a visual learner who loves a hands on environment it can be exacting to define oneself based only on text.  I want to show people what I can do and the standard employment packet requires that I deliver my message with just my words.  This feels a bit like speaking when I cannot use my hands.  Like an aspect of myself has been muted. 

I have been using a lot of the online tools at The Hiring Librarians, and volunteered to share my take on the employment process for library professionals. This article is the result. 

It is hard to imagine all the form completing and hoop jumping I have been doing really results in finding quality staff

At first I was a little worried about the title, its incredibly long and well, snarky.  But honestly I hate redundancy and I think my meaning and message are clear.  Repetitious tasks that have the appearance of being time wasters tend to get shuffled to the bottom of my To Do list. I hope that re-reading the article will help me focus on the task at hand.  I also hope that if I ever get the chance to streamline and simplify the hiring process that I will remember the challenges I was presented with and work that much harder to make it easier for someone else.  

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment