Sunday, August 17, 2014

Whirlwind

Howdy
I've been in Doha less than 24 hours and already I have done a lot and seen even more.
Home Sweet Home

 Thankfully I have not had to make my way around the city by myself yet.  A company driver picked me up last night from the airport and today a friend took me on the super scenic route to the grocery store.  Lucky for me the grocery store is in a mall so I was also able to buy household items, a new phone and get proper currency from the atm.  Here is my PSA for today - however much cash you think you are going need, double it.  Or triple it.  Trust me on this. My other tip is to tape the lids shut on some bath products, I had two bottles of the same face wash pop open. Thankfully I had the foresight to put these items in ziplock bags but I still wasted a good deal of face wash in the process. 


I am getting ahead of myself.  Last night after landing, we went to a little grocery store new my apartment.  It has two floors so you take your cart in the elevator.  Remember the first time you went in a super Wal-Mart or other big box store? The shopping centers here give me that same feeling.  I don't know what brand of butter to buy because I don't recognize the brands.  Sometimes the brand you love is there but maybe it costs more.  Also I am not adept at converting Riyals to dollars; dividing by 4 and adding a bit back gets you close enough.  


I do have a new cell phone now in addition to my US phone. I cannot get a Postpaid calling plan like I did at home until I get my resident card. For now I'm using prepaid cards which honestly feels a tad like college. And hey I got my first text in Arabic.  Followed by the same text in English which was much less exciting since it was a note about my phone. 

Guess what they have lots of in Doha?  Pigeons!

Ok no really guess what else they have a lot of?  Roundabouts, my favorite.  They are a little
Carports
scary as cars just sort of whip around and signaling isn't too common.  I find the roundabouts make it a little hard to tell what direction I am going in. 


I just love that help with the heat many of the parking lots provide these enormous awnings that are a bit like umbrellas.  They shade your car all day.  It is still recommended that you use a sun shade in your wind shield and even then you might need gloves or oven mitts to protect your hands from a scalding steering wheel. 

I just thought of another tip, turn out if someone is a professional driver they prefer that you, the rider, sit in the backseat.  Unless maybe they open the door to the front seat for you.  Otherwise just sit in the back and don't upset the applecart.


My apartment.
Sorry if this is a little rambling.  I slept ok on the plane but it was still sitting up sleep which is never as good as in your own bed sleep. Last night wasn't a great nights sleep either as I woke up around 3am and just could not go back to sleep. 

Next on my To Do list are : find the complex pool, find the dumpster, find the van schedule so I can do more grocery shopping. 

I don't have pictures of the inside of my apartment because although I am unpacked its not exactly neat in here right now.  Its been less than 24 hours and there are dishes in the sink already. 

Laura

2 comments:

  1. Looks nice, not what I had pictured in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes its is very nice inside and out. My apt looks a bit like a hotel inside since its furnished. I will do a tour for everyone soon.

    ReplyDelete